Okay, so our rig has been here in Jacksonville in Linda's sister's front yard since Thanksgiving, but with our trip to the Galapagos Islands in December, our six RV shows in January and February, and the last five days visiting our friend Therese and Linda's Mom, we haven't been around all that much. And Linda has been itching to take on some projects around Karen & Jay's house.
She was going to fix their kitchen garbage disposal when we arrived, but Jay had already taken care of that.
Eventually, she decided to scrape all the old paint layers off the front porch area to prepare it for re-painting. She found a heat gun in Jay's tools and for several days, including those while I was in the Okefenokee, she peeled paint. The porch area now looks like an old, weathered beach house.
But it is now ready to be sanded and painted. I can't believe how many hours she spent on that. My comment - she's crazy. :)
Now there is a new project.
Bathroom Floor Project - Day 1
Karen & Jay moved into this house last April, and whoever did the remodel of the master bedroom in the years before their purchase did a horrible job. Water leaks from under the shower door (a poor door installation), and the cheap, stick-on vinyl squares were popping up.
So, Linda had someone out to give an estimate to install a new ceramic tile floor. The estimate was eye-popping, and she decided she could do it herself after watching several online videos.
Now, Linda & I have had an understanding since the early days of our marriage. When she gets big ideas that require a lot of physical labor, many tedious hours, and precision, she's on her own (or she can hire someone). She's not allowed to volunteer me to be a part of such projects - been there, done that, and the result is usually not pleasant. I'm not good at them, I'm not patient with them, and I have no inclination or aptitude for them. This agreement has helped keep us married for over 30 years. :)
For this project, I agreed only to help with the heavy lifting when required (taking doors off and carrying tile), and I agreed to "pull" the toilet. Being a plumber's son, I have done that before, and it shouldn't be a big deal.
So, I pulled the toilet and put it in the shower out of the way (before today's March Madness games began). Unfortunately, there was a problem. The toilet sits on a wax ring to create a seal and that wax ring sits on a flange that is attached to the floor and glued to the sewer pipe. The toilet attaches to the flange via a couple of bolts (called closet bolts). Well, the flange was broken and I noticed it had been installed incorrectly. In order to re-set the toilet properly, that was going to have to be fixed.
There are certain repair kits, and since I was in charge of the toilet, I watched several videos myself. But, since the flange was installed incorrectly in the first place (and not attached to the toilet properly), we had no choice but to remove the flange and put in a new one. That was going to require going under the house, cutting the PVC sewer pipe and pushing it up through the floor to get the old flange out. Then a new section of sewer pipe and new flange could be put in place and re-connected to the pipe under the house. That's where my involvement switched from "assistant" to finding a plumber to come and do it on short notice.
In the meantime, Linda pulled up all the vinyl tiles and, as expected, there was rotted plywood in some parts of the floor.
And it looked like the toilet may have been leaking at some point, so it was good we were making sure it was done right.
Now, since this week is Karen's Spring Break (she's a teacher), the two sisters were taking on this project together - all the more reason for me to stay out of the way. They spent much of the day (Sunday) shopping for supplies and tools and getting DIY advice at Lowe's and Home Depot.
And then they started cutting out the bad sections of the plywood. Here's Linda with her knee-pads, safety googles, and a circular saw.
Fortunately, the floor underneath the wet plywood was in good shape. It wasn't soft or mushy which may have indicated a much bigger problem.
And that pretty much ended Day 1. The ladies are impressive. :)