Bathroom Floor Project - Day 2
Linda and Karen started out the day cutting plywood to replace what they cut out yesterday.
This was Karen's first time using a circular saw, and she found she enjoyed it.
They used newspaper to create patterns to cut their plywood.
They said it was a good use of the pattern-making skills they learned back in their high school Home Economics classes. That wasn't the only skill learned from those classes that they said came in handy.
One of the issues in completing this part of the project was to figure out how big to make the hole for toilet. In the best of circumstances, they would tile right up to the sewer pipe and the flange would go on top of the new flooring. That would mean the hole would be much smaller. But we determined it would be best if we went ahead and got the new toilet flange installed before the tile went in. It would still work fine even if it wasn't ideal.
They cut all their wood and put the puzzle pieces together out in the driveway.
That was a good stopping point. Karen went to help her daughter organize her garage, and we went to lunch with some RVing friends for a couple of hours while we waited for the plumber to arrive and install the new flange.
We had a wonderful couple of hours at Metro Diner with Jim & Diana and Linda & Steven - all full-time RVers.
It was the first time we met Linda & Steven, and I think we could have all chatted for hours. As it was, we closed down the restaurant not realizing that they closed at 2:30 - it was almost 3:00 and they just let us talk.
Thanks so much for a great time! And if a may quote Steven "I'll never grow tired of being grateful for this lifestyle". I may not have that exactly right, but we certainly concur with the sentiment.
The plumber arrived early, and then the ladies were back at it. Jay was out of town, and they couldn't find his jigsaw, so they had to improvise to cut the round hole for the toilet. They took turns using a reciprocating saw.
They found that the power tools were made for man-sized hands. They struggled to get their hands around the handles and squeeze the triggers hard enough. I offered to help, but was rebuffed. :)
By the end of the day, after a couple of re-cuts and some trimming, the new plywood was in place.
Tomorrow, they will lay an "underlayment membrane" and perhaps start laying tile. Great job so far. :)