So, now that we are here in Jacksonville and parked for awhile, I decided to do another spreadsheet and analyze our mileage over the years. You may or may not know that I keep track of mileage from location to location plus local exploring and errand mileage at each location.
For the purposes of this analysis, I eliminated the few months we had in 2005 to get a better idea of annual numbers.
For background, here is some additional information.
- We started out August 2005 with just our 2005 F450 diesel dually pick-up truck and our 2006 Keystone Cambridge fifth wheel.
- In late July 2007, we added a 2003 Jeep Liberty which became our "running around" vehicle. For those that want to know why we added the Jeep, read this 2009 Journal entry - Reasons For The Jeep.
- In September 2013, a tree fell on the 2003 Jeep and we replaced it with a 2005 Jeep Liberty.
- The truck averages 9 mpg while towing (down from 10 mpg in the earlier years)
- The Jeeps have both averaged right around 21 mpg.
Okay, so here is what I found.
Towing the Fifth Wheel
- From January 1, 2006 through December 31, 2016 (eleven full years), we've towed our rig 63,018 miles.
- We've towed an average of 5,729 miles per year.
- Our lowest towing year was 3,774 miles.
- Our highest towing year was 8,901 miles.
- We've had two years in the 3,000s, two years in the 4,000s, four years in the 5,000s, zero years in the 6,000s, two years in the 7,000s, and one year in the 8,000s
- Our monthly towing average overall is 477 miles.
- BUT, if we eliminate our workamping months and months we've stayed put (the zeroes that dilute the average), the monthly average is 754 miles while actually traveling from place to place and staying anywhere from one night to anything less than a month.
- We've workamped anywhere from zero (four years) to seven and a half months a year, with the average coming out to be 2.6 months per year.
- We've otherwise stayed put in one place (for at least a month) an average of 1 month per year (high of 2 months, 3 weeks).
- We have made 451 moves, averaging 41 moves per year.
- Our lowest number of moves in a year was 25, and our highest number of moves was 69.
- Our average distance move is 140 miles.
- Our shortest move (not counting moves within the same campground) was 4 miles.
- Our longest move was 371 miles in 2011 as we fled the northeast trying to escape the remnants of Hurricane Irene; Our back-to-back two-day total of 715 miles at that time is still our largest two-day total.
- We have 136 moves under 100 miles, 215 moves between 100 & 200 miles, 89 moves between 200 & 300 miles, and 11 moves between 300 & 400 miles.
Note: Since we added the Jeep in mid-2007, Linda has driven the Jeeps 55,273 miles while following the truck and trailer. The cost of the fuel for this has been offset by the fuel savings by driving the Jeep instead of the truck the majority of the "other" miles in the next section.
All Other Driving (exploring parks, taking day trips, running errands, visiting friends/family, and business travel)
- From January 1, 2006 through December 31, 2016 (estimating December), we've driven 108,174 additional miles.
- We driven an average of 9,015 non-towing local miles per year.
- Our lowest year was 7,072 non-towing local miles.
- Our highest year was 11,680 non-towing local miles.
- We had one year in the 7,000s, one year in the 8,000s, four years in the 9,000s, two years in the 10,000s, and three years in the 11,000s.
- Our monthly average is 820 non-towing local miles.
Hope you find some of that info interesting. :)