A heavy rain woke us up. It quit around 8:00 a.m.
Then, as we were going through our morning routine, we noticed David, the owner of RVRoof.com, had arrived. We weren't expecting to see him on a Sunday.
Ah, but soon, we understood. Apparently, a customer was coming to pick up their travel trailer today - in 45 minutes. And, of course, their rig was in the bay we were parked in front of. :)
David apologized for setting out the electrical outlet in front of the wrong bay. Oops. Really, it was no big deal. We just packed up and moved over one spot.
The good news, since David was there and Jennifer joined us a little later, was we were able to get up on the roof and dispense with the measurements and the plan for our spray-on FlexArmor roof.
Our rooftop has the usual vents, air conditioner, TV antenna, and ladder that they have to deal with. But we also have our solar panels and our Datastorm satellite internet dish. They are used to working with solar panels and satellite TV dishes, but this will be their first Datastorm.
The reason we just had our ladder repaired after all of these years and had a new over-the-air antenna installed was because of this new roof. The roof is sprayed on with no seams and no caulking necessary. Therefore, we didn't want to mess up the new roof by putting new holes in it requiring sealant and, thus, defeating part of the purpose.
We also talked through how we were going to deal with the Datastorm dish. We thought about not removing it at all and just sealing over the edges of the baseplate. But we ultimately decided to remove it, apply the roof material under it and re-attach it onto some pre-installed studs. So, if we decide to remove the Datastorm later, there won't be a big rectangular section of old roof that needs to be patched.
Once we had discussed the roof plans, David showed us that our new Lifeline AGM Batteries (GPL-6CT) had arrived. Our four 6-volt batteries are going on seven years old, and we've noticed a loss of capacity. We probably could have squeezed a couple more years out of them, but we made the calculated decision to go ahead and replace them.
We ordered them from John Palmer at PalmerEnergySystems.com here in Florida and had them drop-shipped here.
So, that was this afternoon's project - replacing the batteries we installed back in 2007 with new ones. You can read all about our battery bank and solar panels installation here: Our Electrical/Solar System - A Phased-In Approach.
Although I'm not very handy, changing out the batteries looked pretty straightforward. We were replacing all four of the old batteries with the exact same new batteries. The biggest issue was lifting the 90-pound batteries in and out of our basement.
Just to be sure I got the "series" and "parallel" cabling correct, I took pictures before I disconnected the old batteries. Then I took the old batteries out and put the new batteries in.
I was nice and sweaty after that on this hot, humid day.
I didn't get all the batteries back in exactly the same place, but they were only millimeters off. Still, that was enough to make the previous cable connections not reach perfectly. So, the toughest part was moving side-by-side 90-pound batteries just enough to get the cables to reach.
Once that was all done, I reconnected and tightened all the cables.
Whew. Glad that was done. But I still had to load all the stuff back into the basement, and I had to load the old batteries into the Jeep. I was worn out by the time all that was done. :)
Linda turned on the water heater so I could get a shower. Uh oh. Nothing.
The water heater was working on propane, but not on electric. Now it's not working on either. Upon further investigation, all the wires to the E.C.O. and the thermostat need replacement. We should have tested it on gas before leaving Camping World yesterday. It appears another connection broke while we were there. Oh well, another lesson learned.
I took a cold shower and Linda heated up water in the microwave to take a warm washcloth "bath".
I settled in to watch footbal the rest of the day, and Linda went to the bedroom to watch The Weather Channel to keep an eye on the severe weather crossing the midwest.
Tomorrow, I'll get the parts necessary for the water heater and, with luck, get them installed. And we will back our rig into bay so RVRoof can get started. I'll take some "before" pics of our roof before we leave.
We'll spend the next couple of nights at Karen & Jay's house in Jacksonville, and then we'll pick up our rig on Wednesday. Then we'll moochdock in their driveway for a few more nights. :)
Everything, except for the water heater issues, is proceeding as planned. Knock on wood. :)