We had lots of rain and wind this morning so I just piddled around the house, listened to music, did some filing, answered emails, etc. I told you I just piddled. :) Oh I did enter the last few expenditures for the month on to our expense spreadsheet. Don't get excited folks, I will not be doing the month end financials for you. That you will have to wait for the hubs to get back. :)
Believe me he is already getting used to not having to write the journal entry. He says he's on vacation from it. It doesn't help when everyone keeps saying how much they like reading my journal entries. Enough of that already, I don't want this job. :)
His dad had a better day today so that was good news. His mom was able to attend a Red Hat function since Howard was there to assist. It sounds like they all had a better day. Let's hope that continues from now on.
Remember the project that I volunteered myself for yesterday? Well I will try to explain it to you now. They want two snakes made from dowel rods cut into pieces. Then somehow come up with a way to attached them together like a puzzle. This will be for visiting youngters to play with. One is supposed to be a coral snake (venomous) and the other a milk snake (non-venomous). These two snakes are both red, yellow and black, but the colors are in different order on each snake. So the kids will have to determine which pieces go to what snake. I hope I explained that well enough for you to get the idea.
After some dicussion with other volunteers, we decided that the pieces could be attached with little hooks and eyes. So today, I went to the woodworking shop at the refuge office and got to work. Safety first, I put on safety glasses and earplugs (very cute).
I decided I'd better not use the big table saws without some supervision, so I hand sawed all the pieces. Then I proceeded to use an electric hand sander and sculpted two heads, rounded off all edges of each body section and I sanded each piece flat on the bottom so they wouldn't roll.
Now the tails were a different story. I couldn't find a knife to whittle with, so I improvised and used a box cutter and whittled the tails into rounded points and then sanded them smooth. All of that took me most of the afternoon. I would have loved to have had a table belt sander. It would have made this project a whole lot easier. This little project brought back a lot of memories from my days in shop class. I loved shop! I bet they don't even have shop classes anymore in school.
Tomorrow a few of us gals are going to paint the snakes and add the hooks and eyes. I will get pictures and hopefully be able to upload them and get them on the journal. Wish me luck on that! :)
Later, I joined the other volunteers for a little dinner down at the marina. Soon it was back home for a little TV and then off to bed. I gotta work the Discover Center tomorrow. Another day gone and one more day closer to my honey coming home. :)